I Grabbed That Snake By Its Head …
By Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee/@GeeGranny
I love snakes. They fascinate me. Their colors are beautiful. They amaze me! I become mesmerized when watching snakes. Why? I have no idea.
As a young girl, I would run to pick up a snake when I saw one. I just wanted to hold, look at them. I always had respect for snakes. I never wanted to hurt one.
Once I almost picked up a beautiful copperhead snake. Someone knocked me to the side when they saw what I was about to do. I became upset until they told me why they did that. The snake has such beautiful markings on its skin.
One day, I saw a very long, black … shiny snake. I ran, grabbed it by the head. I picked it up and was admiring it. Before I knew what happened … the snake turned its head somehow … bit me, leaving one of its fangs in my finger!
I went into shock … knowing I’d been bitten. I was numb … I couldn’t believe it. I dropped it like a hot cake.
I went to sit down. I was into such a shock of ‘having finally been bitten’. I didn’t think the snake was poisonous. Later I found out it wasn’t. It was just the pain in my finger, and the shock of being bitten that numbed me. Not only that … seeing the fang in my finger! I pulled it out.
That ended my ‘career’ of picking up snakes. I never had the nerve to do it again. I learned that lesson quickly! I still love to watch snakes … I don’t ever have the desire to grab a snake by its head … ever again.
Note by Author:
Photo/true story owned … written by Gloria Faye Brown Bates/aka Granny Gee.
Didn’t matter if the snake was poisonous or not … just the idea of being ‘bitten by a snake’ … put me into a state of shock.